Journals in the field of dermatology were particularly designed to provide dermatologists with the necessary information in order to come up with the appropriate diagnosis and management when it comes to various form of skin diseases. More often, articles which accepted cover the aspects in education, case reports, clinical trials, pharmacology and therapeutics as well as reviews. In addition, it also features news, proceedings and transactions, tropical medical reports, correspondence and education.
There are international journals which are guided by an illustrious, international editorial board and highlight a worldwide approach in continuing medical education for physicians as well as other health care providers with a particular interest with regards to the problems of the skin.
The following can be considered as guidelines when writing for international journals:
1. Case Report – A report which is composed of 400 to 600 words long and accompanied by no more than three illustrations. This article in particular provides a means when it comes to rapidly communicating about a subject.
2. Correspondence – It can be in a form of short notes or letters to the editor and should be no more than 600 words long, with 2 figures and 10 references.
3. Reminiscence – Such kind of article focuses on the history of either dermatology or skin diseases and can also be a biographical account of historic or renowned figures in the field of dermatology.
4. Commentary – Usually, this article comes in the form of an editorial and can be from 700 to 1,200 words long and with about five references. The author may convey his or her opinion sans full documentation.
5. Education – An article which is about the methodology of a curriculum as well as instruction in dermatology, rounding up to 2,500 words in length.
6. Pharmacology and Therapeutics – An article which commonly relates to the treatment of various diseases as well as to the pharmacology of dermatologically-related drugs and medication. It may include clinical trials, reports, correspondences and reviews, among others.
7. Morphology – This article comes in the form of a photographic essay which stresses a paragraph or two and in color. It should have accompanying text as well as references. However, the whole article is going to appear on just a single printed page.
These are just some of the articles that can be written by a potential contributor; however, the international journals can provide further details when it comes to the process of how to become a contributor or writer of the said journal.