The Maria Duran Scholarship is utilized as the embraced form of scholarship by ISD. It was named after Maria M. Duran who was one of the officers of the International Society of Dermatology. She was the Secretary-General from 1989 to 1999 and became the Executive Vice-President from 1999 to 2000. She was also a member of the International Committee of the International League of Dermatological Societies, the Committee on International Affairs of the American Academy of Dermatology as well as the Board of Directors of the Foundation for International Dermatological Education. In addition, Maria M. Duran was also a Guest Dermatologist of the Immunodermatology section of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland in the US.
The Maria M. Duran Committee wishes to recognize promising future female leaders in the field of international dermatology by bestowing the Maria Duran Fellowship also as way of honoring the memory of former Secretary-General and Executive Vice-President of the International Society of Dermatology, Dr. Maria M. Duran. An amount of $1000 every year will be paid as a maximum fellowship amount for attending an ISD meeting.
In order for one to be eligible or qualified for the Maria Duran Scholarship, she needs to have the following:
– An applicant must be a dermatological resident or is within a year of completing her training or getting her board examinations finished
– If an applicant happens to hail from one of the third world countries, preference shall be given to her
– If an applicant happens to be living closer to where the International Society of Dermatology meeting will be held, preference shall be given to her
– An applicant must have a recommendation letter from the Chair of the applicant’s training program as well as a letter that comes from the applicant’s local, regional or even national dermatologic society
– If an applicant happens to be under the age or 35 as per the copy of her passport, preference shall be given to her
– An applicant must be proficient in the English language when delivering her presentation
– Agreement to prepare a report for the International Journal of Dermatology about the meeting that she has attended
– An applicant must prepare a budget for submission with the application she’s going to pass.